Saturday 28 June 2014

Lunch 2: Leeds, Sunday 29th June 2014 Topics for Discussion

Tomorrow marks the very first Sunday Lunch Project event that takes place outside my home. I'm off to the rather lovely SlungLow HUB in Leeds to host the event there.

I had a bit of a worry that because I don't have as many networks outside London, that it'd be hard to persuade people I didn't know to come and join in, but it turns out I was worrying over nothing; the event is actually slightly oversubscribed. Thankfully I'll be assisted by the brilliant and lovely Emma Adams, a pretty damn wonderful playwright and theatre maker based in Leeds who I've been lucky enough to work with before.

So, the discussion topics have been submitted. In no particular order they are:

  1. Gender Inequality: Why can't we overcome it?
  2. Ageing: our perception, experience and expectation of old age. Given that everyone is living longer, what can we do to dispel the myths and ensure that an older age of dignity, respect and possibility is available to all?
  3. What is Feminism? Does the title 'Feminist' come with Assumptions or Stigma?
  4. What impact is the rise of the Right Wing having on young people? Are the 'old lefties' the end of the line? 
  5. What's it like to live in Leeds right now?
  6. Capital Punishment, Immigrants, Tattoos, Drugs
This is the first SL Project where the discussion topics have touched on the growing Right wing presence in the UK.  Perhaps because it's the first one located beyond the diverse, liberal bubble of London. I'm really interested to see what the discussion throws up - especially as there seems to be a real cross section of age and experience at this one!

No comments:

Post a Comment